Friday, December 30, 2011

Painting the Citadel grass battlemat into fields

I've got two citadel (games workshop) grass battlemats that I sit on the table, then sit scenery on top of them. However, compared to flocked and painted tables, it is rather plain. I decided to convert one of the mats into european/british fields by lightly brushing the fake-grass mat with different browns and greens. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, or if it would even work, but it seems to have worked!

I started off by zooming on on southern england in Google Earth to see what farmy fields might look like from above. Then I lightly painted lines of dark angel green to form the outline of the fields.

Then I brushed lines of dark angel green onto the surface of the fake grass mat.



Then I tried some other colours, such as desert yellow and camo green.


Then I did bestial brown to finish off, also dabbing it over the outlines of the fields.


Then I can lay out scenery on top of it, and it no longer looks like a big flat green expanse!





7 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Nice work. Out of curiosity, what're your thoughts on GW's battlemat anyway? Does it hold up well to routing gaming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them. I still use fully flocked tables a lot of the time, but the mats are great too. I own a couple, and have one on my table all the time as a table cover, even when not playing on it (good table protection when painting and gluing up an army), and find it to be a pretty good basic playing surface.

      Delete
  2. How have you found the durability of the paint on the matt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been okay. The paint kind of absorbed into the fibres of it, rather than setting solid on top of it. I think I might have watered it down a bit, but I can't remember, so it was more colouring the fibres than putting a solid surface of paint on it. I haven't used it in a while though, haven't done much gaming recently.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! What kind of paint are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just citadel paint from games workshop

      Delete